ANYTIME is a good time to job search especially at the end of the year…ESPECIALLY around holidays….parties….get togethers…presents…volunteering…etc.
Of course things do slow down during the holidays including hiring. That doesn’t mean there is no one hiring it just means the entire machine slows down. That can mean good or even bad. Let’s unwrap both.
1. A slow down means both job seekers slow down and hiring slows down. That also means there might be less competition for those open slots you find online. If you are using online sources, this should be music to your ears.
2. Hiring managers are less bombarded by calls and emails about potential job openings. That means you can probably get through for requesting an informational interview or to inquire about opportunities they might have opening in January. Make the calls today.
3. January and February are very strong hiring months and this is the perfect time to get your name out there. Contacting employers to get into their “tickler file” is an excellent idea. The tickler file is one they use to save resumes and contacts for a future hiring need.
4. Parties, get-togethers and volunteering activities increase during this time of year. It is a perfect time to get out into the community and with friends to explore if they know anyone in the field you are looking into. Remember that ANYONE is a potential lead to finding a new job even people who are not in the industry you are looking at. Anyone and everyone is a “target” for your conversation. So go hit if off with people and see what you can help them with and what they can help you with.
1. Slow down…this is the only negative I can think of. There is a slow down in the volume but always remember hiring managers are ALWAYS in search for good people. That is one of their primary jobs so even though there is a slow down, it doesn’t mean you are out of the race. Go find a race that is alive and well.
Getting hired means finding an edge in your job search activities. This is the edge you might be looking for. An end-of-year job search is perfect timing.
Let’s Get Started!